Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes...

This is a brief devotional I wrote and submitted for consideration to be placed at the following blog: http://journeydeeperin2godsword.wordpress.com/ . Go check it out, if you'd like. There are a lot of great devotionals there. I also wanted to post this here, in the hopes that it may encourage someone.

“Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: ‘Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; Before you were born, I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.’ Then said I: ‘Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.’ But the Lord said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am a youth,” for you shall go to all whom I send you and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,’ says the Lord.” -- Jeremiah 1:4-8 (NKJV)

As the old saying goes: the more things change, the more things stay the same. Do you ever read through the Scriptures and realize that even though we’re living a couple thousand years after these prophets, we’re still plagued with the same problems and many of the cultural biases are still present today? Many young people today remain silent when they should speak up, because adults appear to think that children are to be seen and not heard. But God has a difference of opinion here.

He chose Jeremiah before He even formed the prophet in his mother’s womb. He ordained Jeremiah to be a prophet and called on him when he was still a youth. Jeremiah had the same issues: “I am but a child. I can’t speak up to my elders.” God’s response to this is: “Don’t be afraid. I will give you the words to speak, and I will be with you.” The Apostle Paul had similar words for Timothy: “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” (1 Timothy 4:12). Jesus Himself even told his disciples: “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of Heaven” (Matthew 19:14).

There’s a special place in the heart of our Lord for children. While we should always strive to respect our elders, sometimes it’s up to the youth to be an example of Godly living.

Whether young or old, strive to be an example of Godly love, faith, and purity.

No comments:

Post a Comment