Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Another beloved franchise I may give up on...

I've learned two things recently. Number one: Michael Bay is shameless and only cares about lining his pockets with cold, hard cash. There's no franchise he won't ruin all in the name of getting richer. Number two: It's useless to get into any movie franchises because after just two or three films, Hollywood will reboot it (or in rare cases such as The Hulk, one movie).

I've just learned that a new live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is in the works. That got me excited. That got me very excited. I am still a fan of the live-action Turtles movies (the animated TMNT, though it follows the three live-action films, I wasn't too keen on -- but I still liked it). Apparently Viacom has purchased the rights to the Turtles. They will be producing an animated show, slated for 2012, and a new live-action movie, also in 2012.

When I heard that TMNT was going to be animated, I was disappointed. I loved seeing them live-action. But I wasn't too disappointed since the animated film followed the first three. But now, as I mentioned about reboots, this new live-action Ninja Turtles movie is going to reboot the franchise. There is no reason to do this. The only actual Turtles villain who was in the movies was The Shredder. None others (we got Tokha and Razar instead of Bebop and Rocksteady, even). There are plenty of villains from the Ninja Turtles franchise that the Turtles could fight. But of course, Hollywood doesn't care about the fans. They just care about making money. And they know that us die-hard fans will go see the movie, no matter what garbage they produce. And this is where Michael Bay comes in.

I really want to like this movie, and I really hope it's good. But Michael Bay ruined the Transformers franchise, and I fear he will ruin the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise, also.

1 comment:

  1. We are quickly running out of franchises that were still going at the turn of the century and haven't been rebooted.

    ReplyDelete